Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trendy Tuesday - Skype




My husband is a HUGE fan of Skype. It is a free service to talk to others on your computer by using a web cam. We tried it out the other night and it was incredible. Both parties must have a web cam, and you can talk to them through your computer like you would on the phone, but you can actually see each other!




It was really cool talking to his family. It was like we were sitting across the table from them having a conversation! Since they are 12 hours away from us, it was really neat to be able to see them as we caught up.

Do you use Skype? Or something similar? What are your thoughts?

22 lovely comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I don't but I have heard wonderful things about it...but do I want everyone to see me without makeup??? Have a great day!
sandy toe

Sara Fleming said...

Skype is how my DH and i communicate while he is in Iraq...we can either talk through the webcam and internet, or he can use it to call me at a low cost...without it, i don't know what i'd do!!! so not only is it cool, for me, its a life-line to my husband!

Tracie Carlton said...

never herd of it... I must live under a rock...

I'll have to try it out!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I've heard of people using this. I think I will really look into it once Ty starts rotations far off.

Elizabeth said...

LOVE skype!!!

Brandi said...

I've been wondering what Skype was. My sis got my mom, me, and my little sis all a webcam for Christmas so they can see Isaiah and how he is growing. I am anxious to try it out now! Thanks for the info.

How are you feeling? How is baby boy doing? Isaiah is doing great - growing like a weed. :) I pray you all are doing well!

Lindsey said...

I adore Skype! Most of Garth's family live in France and South Africa so Skype is how we keep in touch with them.

Kari said...

I love your blog! Thanks for the sweet comment you left on mine =)

When my friend Holly had her baby a few months ago, her husband's parents, who live in Alabama, were able to see their 1st grandbaby moments after he was born b/c of Skype..it was so neat!!

Hope you are feeling great and your little baby is growing strong!

-Kari

2 Little Irish Boys said...

We have it and have used it. Not very much though-finding the time with a 3 yr old and 11 month old is not easy!!

Amy Green @ Sweet Home Amy said...

I have it, but I haven't used it yet. Maybe I should see if I have any family members on it, that'd be cool. Some of my coworkers and I will do video calls through MSN Messenger, since that's what we use for IM for work.

brittany said...

We love skype! I talk to my parents in Singapore at least once a week! It's wonderful that they can see Silas as he grows...and it's FREE! We skyped (a common verb in our family) this morning, as a matter of fact.

Emily said...

I have heard lots of good things about it! Very cool! Congratulations on your baby! How exciting!

Lauren said...

That is SOOO cool! I want a webcam! That would totally be great to keeping in touch with faraway friends!!!!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

I'd really like to try this since my Step Son is in Germany for the army. I'll have to talk to Dear Hubby!

Susan said...

I love Skype for when The Mr or I are travelling. Lets us have dinner "together" while we are apart, which we love. I particularly like it now that I use my bluetooth headset with my computer. That way I am not wired to the computer and can do some of my daily chores while still chatting.

Hope you and Baby Boy are doing well!

Mommy Mac said...

Skype?

Are you kidding me?!

How bout cell phones and that's it!!

Sounds very fun.

I would totally touch up my hair and make-up before talking though!!

Did you???

.mac :)

Mimi Elise said...

i use the iMacs version of that.....iChat! its awesome!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Is that the one you can leave a message on?
I have a different one, and We have to coordinate our timing-I would love to get a video message. My husband travels for work, and we chat at night on the computer this way-I love it-It is (almost) like his is close by...

Kelley said...

I really love Skype! Since we are moving even further away from our families, I got all the moms a webcam. We love it!

Meagan said...

We use skype to communicate with my brother and sis in law in Italy! It is soo fun!

tiarastantrums said...

LOVE skype - have been using since we returned from China in 2006

Anna May said...

EVERYONE tells me I need to be doing this to keep up with my OK family!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker