Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Mayhem - 60 Years

As you know, we've been having lots of wonderful celebrations with my grandparents over the past few weeks, and this one was most special. This past Friday, my grandparents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary! I know what you're thinking, "They don't look old enough! Did they marry when they were 12?" :)
These flowers were on the altar Sunday morning at their church in celebration of their 60th wedding anniversary! I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least 60 roses in there!



To kick off the celebration, Saturday evening we ate dinner at our favorite restaurant, Ruth's Chris! We've had many a celebratory meals there together, so it was the perfect place. We even requested our favorite waiter, Curtis.




His wife hand picked these beautiful flowers from their personal garden to be at our table for the occassion!



Husband and I love Ruth's Chris :) yuuummm....I could eat there everyday. Can I play the pregnancy card to request a filet for dinner every night??? OK, how about at least after I give birth? :)



My mom came up with this fantastic idea for an anniversary gift...a few months back, she sent letters to over 60 of her parents friends, telling them that their anniversary was approaching and that she would be making a book of letters from all of their dear friends. She got an overwhelming response of replys, and was able to gift them this very special and memorable book!




We all had a fabulous evening looking through the letters of response and reading their thoughtful words and favorite memories of my grandparents. It was one of the best gifts I've ever seen!

And finally, on a baby note, Lil' Pumpkin is a BOY! (check out Friday's post if you haven't already read it). My sis and her husband gifted Punk' with these super cute outfits...

When my grandmother was pregnant with my mom, she bought this beautiful receiving blanket at L.S. Ayers (when it existed back then!) and brought her home in it. Well, it was handed down to my mom when she had all three of us girls, and was gifted to us to use when we bring Lil' Pumpkin home from the hospital! It will continue to be passed around to each of us girls as we produce them more grandchildren :) What an excellent family tradition! Kind of a wedding "something borrowed" thing!

17 lovely comments:

sassy stephanie said...

Wow. They do look young! How awesome!

mom said...

It will be my joy to share these pictures with your grandparents. The weekend was a full one...for sure. You do such a grand job of describing our celebrations! We loved having allofus here for the weekend! So...what are we celebrating next weekend? Should we plan to go to the Ruth's Chris in L-ville? tee hee hee. Well, we are thankful that you and Zack and the Fez and punk could all be here with us. I've watched the u/s over and over again. I can't wait to see how he has grown by June! :D Have a great day! Love you! Love mom oxoxoxoxo

Ink Obsession Designs said...

That is so sweet about your grandparents. And I love the outfit from your sis and BIL! Too cute! :)

Elizabeth said...

What a great weekend and I love the little outfits. It's hard to believe your little one will fit into those!!! Hope your week is good and go ahead and eat a filet everyday... it's good for the boy!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

What a fabulous weekend all of you had! I love reading about your grandparents and their celebration-thanks for sharing. I love the blanket-very sweet tradition. Cillian has that whale outfit--it is adorable and of course fits right in with my light blue obession!!

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

Congrats on your little boy! I didn't see that post on Friday. Seems like so many are having girls that your little boy will have his pick in a few (read: many!) years! :) My mom did a book like that for my grandparents for their 50th anniversary - such a great idea! :)

Annikke said...

What wonderful things happening in your neck of the woods! How awesome!!

Lindsey said...

That is amazing, 60 years! Wow!

Mommy Mac said...

What a handsome set of grandparents you have!!

To be married and still smiling for that many years is a wonderful blessing.

I really enjoyed the gift idea from your mom. Just think of the impressions those words made on their hearts forevermore.

And what a GREAT waiter!!! Flowers and everything.

Service is his specialty.

The passed down blanket...priceless. We have a similar situation with the blanket my mom hand quilted for me to be brought home from the hospital...both of my boys have now been brought home with the same blanket.

It resides now as my youngest son's "B" his most prized possession of all this world.

Traditions, celebrations, memories...all good things, huh?!

.mac :)

Lauren said...

that restaurant is beautiful! 60 years wow!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Congrats to your grandparents-I love seeing the legacy of a long marriage.
The gift idea gives me an idea for my parents-thankyou!
And the quilt idea is so special! How wonderful!!

Megan said...

The receiving blanked it so special! I definitely want to have things like that to pass down to our (future) children!
Congratulations to your grandparents hitting the 60 year mark- that's so exciting!

Tracie Carlton said...

you always take such amazing pictures... I wish I remembered to do that... ha ha!

So I headed over to your sisters bog (cause last time I visited it, she had those neat little paper wreaths) I didn't know what we shared the same wedding day... 2 years for us too this June 2nd... it's just neat to know that someone else was having the beat da ever too the same day!! ha ha!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Your Grandparents look like they are a special couple. The book of letters was a GREAT gift!

I would be so touched by the use of a family receiving blanket. Very very special for you!

Online Printing said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations to your grandparents on their 60th anniversary. What a wonderful and inspiring couple. The book is a very special gift which I'm sure they'll spend lots of time reading and enjoying. Thanks!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Congratulations to your grandparents!

I have enjoyed reading your blog tonight. Hope you will visit me...The posts from our most recent "grandparent Disney trip" are beginning, with a look into the eyes of my little guys from this "Grammy"! Also every comment counts as an entry for the May giveaway. (See Monthly Card Box Giveaway"!

.

tiarastantrums said...

HOW lovely -

I dont' think you will have to purchase anything for your little man!
Look at all the stuff you are getting already!

ps - just a hint - don't take the tags off until you use it - babies grow so fast - you may never get to all these clothes!!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker