Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thoughtful Thursdays - God's Perfect Timing

A man from Norfolk , VA called a local radio station to share this on Sept 11th, 2003, TWO YEARS AFTER THE TRAGEDIES OF 9/11/2001.
His name was Robert Matthews. These are his words:

A few weeks before Sept. 11th, my wife and I found out we were going to have our first child. She planned a trip out to California to visit her sister. On our way to the airport (on Sept. 11), we prayed that God would grant my wife a safe trip and be with her. Shortly after I said 'amen,' we both heard a loud pop and the car shook violently. We had blown out a tire.

I replaced the tire as quickly as I could, but we still missed her flight. Both very upset, we drove home. I received a call from my father who was retired NYFD. He asked what my wife's flight number was, but I explained that we missed the flight. My father informed me that her flight was the one that crashed into the southern tower. I was too shocked to speak. My father also had more news for me; he was going to help. 'This is not something I can't just sit by for I have to do something.'

I was concerned for his safety, of course, but more because he had never given his life to Christ. After a brief debate, I knew his mind was made up. Before he got off of the phone, he said, 'take good care of my grandchild. Those were the last word's I ever heard my father say; he died while helping in the rescue effort.

My joy that my prayer of safety for my wife had been answered quickly became anger. I was angry at God, at my father, and at myself. I had gone for nearly two years blaming God for taking my father away. My son would never know his grandfather, my father had never accepted Christ, and I never got to say good-bye.


Then something happened. About two months ago, I was sitting at home with my wife and my son, when there was a knock on the door. I looked at my wife, but I could tell she wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door to a couple with a small child. The man looked at me and asked if my father's name was Jake Matthews. I told him it was. He quickly grabbed my hand and said, 'I never got the chance to meet your father, but it is an honor to meet his son..'

He explained to me that his wife had worked in the World Trade Center and had been caught inside after the attack. She was pregnant and had been caught under debris. He then explained that my father had been the one to find his wife and free her. My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my father giving his life for people like this. He then said, 'there is something else you need to know.' His wife then told me that as my father worked to free her, she talked to him and led him to Christ. I began sobbing at the news.

Now I know that when I get to Heaven, my father will be standing beside Jesus to welcome me, and that this family would be able to thank him themselves.

When their baby boy was born, they named him Jacob Matthew, in honor of the man who gave his life so that a mother and baby could live.

This story should help us to realize this: God is always in control. We may not see the reason behind things, and we may never know this side of heaven, but God is ALWAYS in control. Please take time to share this amazing story. You may never know the impact it may have on someone. God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.


Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:1

20 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

Gave me chill bumps! What an amazing story!

Christie said...

This choked me up a bit, but thank you, this is an important story to share.

Jin G. said...

what an amazing story! i think i'll post this on my blog, too. it's too special not to share.

Jennifer @ Mom Spotted said...

Amazing post. I worked in a bank then and one of my co-workers daughter worked in the south tower on the 3rd from the top floor. He was practically parallized with grief when it came across the news. He knew there was no way his daughter would be able to make it out of that building.

Turns out her boyfriend accidentally turned off the alarm clock the night before and she was on the bridge in traffic on her way in when the planes hit. Talk about chances.

Amanda said...

This is great, thanks for sharing. I definitely teared up at my desk just reading it!

I've been reading your blog forever (I don't even remember how I found you now...) and just wanted to say hi :)

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

An amazing story for sure and a wonderful testimony! Thank you for sharing. Have you ever thought of posting it for Spiritual Sunday????

Megan said...

Whew..I have tears in my eyes after reading this.

Mommy Mac said...

Victory in Jesus. My savior forever.

He is magnificent.

.mac :)

Lindsey said...

Amazing story!!!

Mrs Anne said...

wow, just wow.

God is so good.

wordy mom said...

Such an amazing story illuminating our God, who is in control of all things! I love that God allowed the son to know now, that his father is with Jesus and to be comforted to know that in the line of duty, of which his father was obviously passionate about, he died doing what he loved. As he saved two lives, his too was saved for all eternity!
Sometimes I am soooo close to a circumstance in my own little life that I look at it as being inches from a wall. But we have reassurance that God Knows all and Is all. Comfort! I love this story. Thanks for thoughtful Thursday! See you soon! Love, mom
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And He is not served by human hands, as if He needed anything, because He Himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us. For in Him we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:24-28

Kari said...

I had to dry my eyes before I could type this! What an amazing story--God really does have perfect timing and is always looking out for His children.

Michele said...

What a wonderful story...and I'm trying to type through tears.

God has timing for everything...

Hugz,
Michele

Kelley said...

oh my goodness! What a true testament of God's amazing plan! Thanks for sharing this story!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this story. I really needed to read that today and to realize that in all things, God is in control!

Thank you..

Sara Fleming said...

whew, just bawled my eyes out...thank you for sharing!!!

tiarastantrums said...

I got goosebumps reading this!

Liz Harrell said...

It's a good thing I keep Kleenex at my desk, this one made me cry.

Emily said...

What a MIGHTY God we serve! Our God is good and his kindness and mercy is forever!

Wonderful story! Thank you!!

Blessings,
Emily

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

incredible, tears in my eyes, thank you for sharing.

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker