Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays: Perfect Timing

Timing is a big deal in our lives. Even if we don't realize it, everything we do each day is based on time. What time an appointment is, what time you need to leave to get there, how much time something is going to take to accomplish, what time something is due...It can sometimes be stressful!

As I thought about which "Perfect Timing" personal story I should use for this post, it took me a few minutes to pick just one. But this is one of my favorites...

Two summers ago when Zack and I felt called to move to L-ville and start seminary, we had one weekend to come down here and find a place to live. I had spent weeks online, looking at different apartment locations, prices, availabilities, etc. We had 1 1/2 days to find a place. We spent half of Friday driving around looking at these places, finding nothing that was available, safe, or close to the school.

We had made dinner plans with a friend that already was going to school here, and as we exhaustedly sat down at the table, we began our meal together. Half way through dinner, she says, "Well, you should come see my place. I'm moving out in two weeks." Which happened to be when we were moving down...

It was PERFECT. We walked inside, took a look, and knew it was perfect for us. Perfect location. Perfect amount of space. Perfect for us. We had no idea she was leaving. Everything happened in God's perfect timing! Our search was over!

God has everything timed out perfectly. I'm always reminded during one of my greatest struggles, that when I am running late for something, God may have found a way to hold me back to save me from an accident on the roads. Or just because I'm ready for a change in my life and want to change it now, I may be missing a great blessing that God has for me in the way things currently are.

God even perfectly timed the arrival of His Son on earth...Galatians 4:4-5 says, "But when the completion of the time came, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law."

I just want to encourage you today to look deeper into what God might be trying to do in your life with His Perfect Timing!

16 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so true that God's timing is perfect. I guess in my imperfect human mind I tend to forget that often. Thank you for the encouragement for today! I really needed to hear that!
Jess

Nancy said...

Several years ago my in-laws were in a bad car accident. My MIL wasn't wearing a seat belt and was hurt badly. While in the hospital with those injuries, they discovered a malignant tumor on her kidney. If that car accident had not happened, they probably would not have known about the cancer until it was too late. She recovered from all of it and lived several years after that. The timing of the accident was truly a God thing!

Anonymous said...

Bravo, my sweet child. This is by far one of my favorite post by you. :D

Thank you for reminding us all...to look up...not at our wrist...to the One and Only Who sees all and knows all...and to trust the faithful One who holds the clock in His precious hand. :D

Oh, and by the by... I remember those 2 years ago PERFECTLY! I remember thinking...."Oh, my gosh! They have one weekend to find a place to live in a city that they are unfamiliar with...how will this happen!"" Oh, me of little faith...I remember Glenda Hearn telling me... "Ann, you are just going to have to trust God!" She was right...for now and then too, He is Glorified! Have a great day and give dad a big hug and kiss to dad for me...Oh, another, God's perfect timing thing...speck so! :D Love, mom xooxoxoxo

Sweet Simplicity said...

Thanks for the encouraging post. Sometimes we just need to be reminded that God is in control, not us. Have a great Thursday!

Whitney said...

Oh girl, I could testify time and again about the Lord and His perfect timing in Darin and my life since we've been married. It is absolutely astounding! And we look back and think - it could never be more perfect than how He allows it to happen. And His provision?? Oh, amazing!!

The Harveys said...

Funny...I was JUST reflecting on this very subject this morning!

Thank you for the encouraging words...I enjoy stopping by your blog and really enjoy the positive and uplifting "voice" of it! Thanks!!

Aunt Julie said...

Your post is both inspirational and educational. Thanks for embracing us all--I love your blog!

kelly said...

so true! what a wonderful story! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Today was PERFECT TIMING for me to hear this message! I was struggling with something and needed a reminder that God's will lights the way! Thank you so much!

You know what else is perfect timing - Dave Matthews in a week and a half! We can't wait to see you guys!
Jess

Kelly said...

thank you for sharing this very important, but often difficult to accept, point. we have had to learn in a very real way recently that we are in God's perfect timing and that we have to wait on him and trust him in the mean time. I love that story, and it gives me great hope as we move forward in life! thank you! :D

Ange said...

Wow allie i needed this today!!! more than you know. thank you for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Just a reminder at the end of a long and happy day... I love you! And, send Stev home soon! Love, mom xoox

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm hooked on etsy! Thanks! I AM going to bed...now. :D Luv, mom

Heathahlee said...

Thank you for the reminder. My husband and I have learned that His timing is always perfect, but there are times I do need a reminder!

I've given you an award on my blog, if you'd like to check it out. I've also tagged you almost in the same "breath!" :)

Delaina said...

God's timing is amazing! I see it almost everyday and I'm overcome with peace everytime I witness it. I never take it for granted.

Liz Harrell said...

Thank you so much for reminding me of this today, I really needed it!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker