Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays: Matthew 6:1

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." Matthew 6:1

A few nights ago, Zack had to work late in the evening. So I came up with a brilliant idea that I would rush home from work and do all these special things for him while he was gone. I scurried home from work, stopped by the grocery store to get a few of his "favorites", started a load of laundry, washed a load of dishes, changed the sheets on the bed, straightened up his den, did some light dusting and vacuuming, made him some of his favorite drinks (pink lemonade and tea) and lit a candle that sent a sweet aroma around the house.

I did all of these things, thinking all the while in my head, "Zack is going to love this. He is going to walk in the door and be so appreciative and hug and kiss me and give me all this praise. He is going to be SO impressed with me." When he did arrive home later that evening, tired, sore and dirty, he was very appreciative, but after I TOLD him everything I did.

Then Sunday morning rolled around, and our pastor, Dr. Ezell, preached on the above passage from Matthew 6:1. Can we say, "C-O-N-V-I-C-T-I-O-N????" Oh, how I had failed as a wife!!!

As Jesus says, we are to do all things to glorify God! We are not to do things for men to see us and praise us, but we are to do things for God, to bring honor to him!!! It says it in the scripture right there...if you are doing things to please man, "...you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

I learned that doing those things are already my responsibilites as a wife. I should have been doing them to glorify the Lord, and be the best wife he commands me to be. Not solely doing them to recieve praise from my husband.

Remember Matthew 6:1 today as you do your daily activites. Do them to honor and glorify God and not try to impress others!

5 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! It has convicted me! I think I will go and make a vat of dad's favorite sweet tea...and just do it and NOT tell him I did it...as to receive a reward. Good reminder...and I love how God speaks to us and usually so gently and always with more love than we can even comprehend!
I LOVE your blog! It is beautiful and so much fun to daily have a little somethin' special to read! Great JOB!
Thank you for bearing your heart and your transparency so we could all learn and mediate on the Truth of God's Word. I love you! Love, mom xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way... I LOVE the riddle thing...it made me feel a bit smarter today...I never get those things right! Thanks for allowing me that little treat in my day...and congrats to William and Megan and Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! Celebration to all! Love, mom

William, Megan and Avery said...

ooh... lets see... probably SweetTarts or Nerds are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

great post! i just read it, and i think it is very true. i have those expectations sometimes, too, as a wife, and it only leads to heart ache! i enjoyed!

Anonymous said...

Allie,
Thanks for the note on my blog; loved this thoughtful Thursday - I do the same thing - thinking my husband will notice - never realizing it would be the same as 'secret' service outside the home. Thanks for the reminder!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker