Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday Mayhem - Sam's Club

Are any of you members at Sam's Club? The Hubby and I were discussing this weekend if we felt it would be a good investment of $30 a year. Of course items are cheaper there, but we have never really bought anything in bulk.



Of course, my most favorite reason for wanting to join Sam's is the free samples :) Who doesn't love getting a buffet of goodies that fills you up like an entire meal? But I have to put all the economical reasons in there for the hubby's sake :)


What are your thoughts? If you're a member, are you glad you are? What is the best thing to buy there? And most importantly, what days do they have all the free samples?!?

18 lovely comments:

Jennifer @ Mom Spotted said...

We don't have a Sam's Club, but we have a Costco one...I go more or less for the Perdue chicken. I get 16 individually wrapped pieces for $15!!! I just wish we could use manufacturer's coupons!

Heathahlee said...

I don't remember when they do the free samples, but I do know I've hated not having my membership renewed. The savings in gas alone pays for the membership over the course of the year, and milk is always cheaper. Plus, you can get a cheap, cheap lunch there, and it more than fills you up. Pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, etc, etc. Hmmm, maybe we need to set aside some money this month and renew! : )

Anonymous said...

Sam's Club! YEA!!! Where else can you buy a new set of tires, a gallon of milk, a set of china, a bouquet of flowers, a birthday cake, a new couch and a computer, all while having your pictures developed?!?!!! Wow! I agree with the above post, it is worth it just for the gas prices...if you have one close by. And the lunch and ice cream prices are unbeatable! Hot pretzels, pizzas, rootbeer floats (1.28!) It is good for the winter or rainy days for just walking! Plus, we get our Christmas Cards done there. Go for it! It is totally worth the $30! Milk, juice, eggs, all cheeper! Cakes, too! Free sample day...I think always on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...lunch time...speck so. Dad and I have left there before...STUFFED! Kendall and I use to go there for lunch after our Wed. Bible study. Take the plunge...spend the $30...I don't think you will regret it! Have a marvelous Monday...Love, mom oxoxoxoxo

Jennifer said...

I have a Sam's Club membership, but my employer pays for it. The best thing to buy there is gas! Sometimes it is 10 cents+ cheaper than other gas stations.

Anonymous said...

I am a costco member. We used to me sam's members, but we switched. Personally I like costco much better. (if samples is a thing you are looking for- COstco has much more than sams!! ;)

Meg said...

I had a Sams club membership last year and honestly after the first intitial set up I never went back :/ So it was a waste of money for me.

I think the reason for that is the grocery store was 5 min. away while Sams Club was 25 min or so away.

Kelley said...

i love warehouse clubs! Costco is wonderful. I love buying in bulk now! And the free samples are totally worth it!

on another note...i'm sad I totally forgot to enter the giveaway!

Mrs. Hibit said...

If you buy electronics, Sam's is a GREAT place to get them. Their warranty/return policy is the best out there.
We buy all of our paper products in bulk, as well as non-perishable food items like pasta. I'm not sure that we save a TON of money, but it is awfully convenient.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl....If it is just you and the hubby, I think it might not be worth it....My parents have a membership...and we buy stuff like toilet paper and paper towels there, we also get laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, windex...stuff like that...but usually my mom will buy that stuff (in 3 packs) to split with me, my bro, and her...if its just ya'll...you will end up with huge amounts of everything...and honestly they are not that much savings. I bought a 2 pack of Ranch dressing, and it was actually more than if I had just bought it from the grocery store! It really just depends on what you are looking to buy there...usually you can get stuff like meat and sodas for a good price... I think you can go in there one time for free...you should try it...go in and look at the stuff you buy on a normal basis and see if its cheaper to get it there!
Oh and yeah the gas is totally worth it! So if it is in driving distance it might be worth it...We live an hour from Sam's so its a trip when we go...personally I just have a Walmart card and get gas there for 3 cents off!
Hope everyone helps you decide!!!
~Abigail

Jennifer Owens said...

My husband and I have been trying to decide whether or not to do something similar - except with Costco instead of Sams - just cause we know they have more to choose from. We wonder if it's worth the investment or not though too. Judging from some of the comments you already have, people seem to think it's a good idea!

Abby♥ said...

Yes, we have been both members of Costco and of Sam's club. I am thinkin i like costco better than sam's club, because the people are a lot nicer, AND most importantly- (haha) a bunch of samples! :)

Suzanne said...

I love Sams! We buy milk, fruit, water bottles, toilet paper, paper towels and their cooked chicken is good, gas is cheaper too. We even bought our TV, TV console and mattress there. Well worth the price...I think they usually have more samples on the weekends, but I have seen them there weeknights as well.

Elizabeth said...

Saturday is free sample day:) Yummy... however, we tend to spend too much money when we go because we are buying things we don't need and in bulk. But it is good for milk, frozen chicken breasts and meat selection, way cheaper:) Have fun!

The Shillingburg's said...

They never have free samples when I'm there. I think it's an urban legend. I do love Sam's though. I only buy certain things there...the rest I get from the grocery store.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I have a Costco card, and we buy our toliet paper, paper towels, and napkins...My husband and my kindergartener have special times together going to get the food samples.
We also buy their gas-usually a few cents cheeper!

Megan said...

We have been contemplating getting membership at Sam's club also, but right now in an apartment, i'm not sure we have the room! Definitely will use it when we have kids.

Sarah Rose said...

Allison, we LOVE our membership to Costco for baby things alone... the prices on diapers and formula are pretty outstanding. If you do any kind of coupon shopping, it is NOT cheaper to buy in bulk -- it's cheaper to buy with coupons at regular stores. However, meat and dairy items, and a lot of produce (if you like to eat 3 pounds of bananas in a week and a half, for example -- and Zack might!) is cheaper than in your regular grocery stores.

I've just started doing some major coupon shopping, so I'm definitely seeing where bulk is and isn't a benefit. But even if Michael's company didn't pay for our Costco membership, we'd definitely keep it!

Beth said...

I have a membership through my new job and I do like it -- but I wouldn't pay for a membership myself. I don't think the gas is that much cheaper -- especially since I have go to all the way to exit 17!

They do have some good buys, but since it's just the two of us, there's not a ton we buy in bulk. Even things like toilet paper and paper towels aren't thatmuch cheaper there -- and Sarah is right; if you have coupons, you can definitely get those items cheaper at Walmart. You have to watch with bulk stores -- some things are cheaper, but some things aren't!

Keep us posted on your decision :)

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker