Friday, December 12, 2008

Chocolate Bark Gone Bad

It was a quiet, peaceful evening at our home last night. The house was clean, laundry done, dinner fixed and the Christmas tree lit in all its glory. What would cap off the evening perfectly? Making chocolate dipped pretzels, of course!!! I just received two huge boxes of the perfect dipping chocolate, so hubby and I decided to give it a go...
We got everything set out and ready to go. Our Frosty was watching the whole thing...I got to use my new mixing bowl set...

My make-shift sprinkles...for some reason, I thought I had the festive red & green sprinkles, but this was all I had in the pantry. But I wasn't about to let that get me down!




We are currently without a microwave, as the husband has not had a chance to install it over the stove. So, next best idea....melt it over the flame!!


Well, things seemed to be going ok...it started melting quickly, and we were very excited. Husband kept stealing broken pretzels and dipping them in the pot "just to test the chocolate."


After a few moments, we look down and see this:


CHUNKY...it was gross...so we thought, "maybe its just not hot enough". So as any wise people who fly by the seat of their pants and don't read the directions on the box, we blasted that flame even bigger.


I finally caved in and decided to read the directions on the box:


Aweeee man!!! No wonder it wasn't working like it was supposed to. But we thought we could maybe still salvage a bit of the chocolate and make a few pretzels, until we turned back around and saw this:



At this point, we pretty much gave up. It was disgusting. But I didn't want to feel like I wasted my time and chocolate...I had to get something out of this, so I made this, and the husband ate it :)


And even Fez was able to get in on the action, when the spatula flipped out of the pot and made its way down to his puppy paw level...I'm pretty sure he was in doggy heaven. AND I'm most postively sure he got more than he needed...for the next half hour after this he was BOUNCING off the walls!


PS...I am doing a surprise Breakfast in Bed for my husband tomorrow morning...it will be our 6 year anniversary from our FIRST DATE :) yes, I know its not really necessary to celebrate Date-a-versaries after you're married, but why give up a perfectly good reason to celebrate???

I'm making this awesome dish called Sleepin' in Omlette from The Pioneer Woman! You make it the night before, let it set in the fridge over night, and bake it in the morning. Then you have a heart attack from all the butter than evening :) Go check it out and make it tonight!!!

(photo by Pioneer Woman)

and PPS...since I'm not doing a giveaway this weekend, be sure to go enter to win THIS ONE! It's being hosted by J. Leigh Designs!

23 lovely comments:

Whitney said...

You guys sound like me and my husband. We jump into stuff all the time without reading the directions! :) Hilarious!

Sweet Simplicity said...

OH NO! At least you can laugh about the situation. I love the PW's recipes. You will have to let us know how this one turns out.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you burnt your chocolate...

I've seen that recipe on PW's site but haven't tried it yet. I think it's sweet that you are celebrating your first date. Now I'm going to have to spend all day trying to figure out when ours was.

Amy said...

Sounds like the cooking that goes on here in kitchen in Crazyville.;)

And that breakfast in bed dish from Ree sounds wonderful!

I mean if you don't mind the heart attack that follows.;)

Happy "6 Year" Dating Anniversary!

Merry Christmas!
Amy:)

The Shillingburg's said...

Thanks for the comment. Snow is fun but I don't know how you guys up north do it ALL the time.

Megan said...

Happy 6th first date anniversary!! ;) I think that's awesome that you still remember (and celebrate) it! P.S. PLEASEEE tell me I haven't missed you on WOF. When is it airing?

Jennifer Owens said...

The same things has happened to me before too! At least you made some fun memories together! (o:

Anonymous said...

Happy 6th Anniversary...has it really been 6 years??? since we went to Hawaii??? Hmmm. Well, thank you for sharing your cooking catostrophe! I don't feel so alone! I try to feel better by watching top chef...for someone always has to leave the show weekly because of a snafoo in the making. Well, at least you found humor in disaster! All I could think of was "OH, you have to clean the pan!" Don't tell dad...but I probably would have just "pitched" the entire thing! :D
I re read yesterday's prayer and was humbled and reminded of the importance of obedience to the Lord for lack of has revealed many seen consequences. Thank you for helping us to ponder on such matters and the TRUTH of GOD"S WORD.
I am soooo excited about Monday! Will it be blue dog or butterfly cafe....OR just ice cream...or quedoba? we only have 3 days to ponder! tell fez, nanners is on her way! Have a great weekend and I cannot wait to hear how "breakfast" tuns out! Love surprises! Love, mom oxoxoxoxo

Shannon said...

Oh no!! Maybe you can have a re-do night soon. :) Your breakfast in bed sounds like a great idea! :)

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I love the "gone bad" story. What a fantastic memory for you and your husband-at least you had fun! I think it is great you celebrate 1st date anniversary. congratulations!!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

Aww I love this post :) what a fun night! can't wait to try the breakfast casserole!

tiarastantrums said...

almond bark - you put it in a glass bowl over bowling water - then it won't curdle like that and I love Pioneer woman's recipes!!

Melinda said...

to ditto someone else's comment-please put out multiple reminders next week to remind us to watch WOF :) I watched one night last week and thought I had almost missed yours so I had to go back and look at when you were going to be on the show. I've been telling all of my friends because I get so excited when there is someone that I know on TV. I have a hunch that you won big!

Shell in your Pocket said...

This post made me feel better!!!! I have done this so many times..it is so frustrating..I guess that is why they make double boilers..but I never use them!
-sandy toes

Elizabeth said...

Have a happy "anniversary". Hap and I celebrate that too:) and I certainly hope you don't have a heart attack!!! Enjoy!

Jen said...

I am sorry that it did work but it made for a great post. I am really liking your blog.

Unknown said...

cute post! Love PW lets us know how good the breakfast was and congrats!

Aunt Julie said...

Hubbies and Doggies have a way of bailing us out in a pinch, don't they?

Heathahlee said...

I had some almond bark do the same thing to me a couple of weeks ago! It didn't specifically say it was for the microwave, but when I put it on the stove it turned out yucky! I think if I had used a double burner it would have worked. Lesson learned.

I LOVE Pioneer Woman's recipes. My all time, absolute, never fail recipe of hers is Apple Dumplins. It is SOOOOO easy and SOOOOOO good. And you will not even have to wait until way later before you have your heart attack. You can just eat your dumplins, scoot away from the table, and go into cardiac arrest right there. How convenient? : )

Unknown said...

Your chocolate melting story is too funny : ). I am glad you had a hyper dog. My Mom babysat Kaish, Sabria and Naji this morning and gave them Pepsi. They were so hyper this afternoon I thought I was going to go crazy.

Unknown said...

Oh, and 6 year date a versaries are definitely something to celebrate : ). Life is short! Celebrate whenever you can!

Anonymous said...

oh gosh that looks like something i would do!! but goodness that last dish looked great!!

Beth said...

I love Pioneer Woman! How did you find her?

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker