Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yes, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel...an "A"!

Thursday had arrived. I'd been waiting my whole life (it seemed like) for this day.

All the contestants had to be in the lobby by 7:15 to catch the shuttle to Sony Studios by 7:30. We arrived in the parking garage and waited for the producer to pick us up. There were 20 of us...3 contestants for 6 show tapings and two alternates. I must say, it was a lively group.
Although I cannot share too many details, I can tell a few bits of "A Day in the Life of A Wheel of Fortune Contestant". It's like your a celebrity for a day! They filed us in a single line from the parking garage into the WOF studio...we weren't allowed to talk to or make eye contact with any of the employees, and we walked directly into a small room where we spent the rest of the day.
There were chairs, a table full of food, and a door that connected into the make up room. Restroom visits had to be authorized by the producers. Some might call it a jail...but if you think about it, they can't take any chances of sneaky cheaters :)
We had plenty of time to practice spinning the wheel, screaming letters, and solving fake puzzles. Here's a few facts I learned that are deceptive on the television:
*The studio is so much smaller in person than it appears on the screen. Amazingly smaller.

*There is a flat screen hidden that the contestants can refer to to see what letters are still available
*When you stand behind the wheel at your color assignment, they adjust the floorboard! That way, everyone has more of an even height when they stand together.
*During EVERY commercial break, contestants turn around and walk off the wheel, where the producers tell them what's happening next, the make up lady does touch ups and water is served.

*You are not allowed to look at or speak to any of your friends or family in the audience at ANY time.

It was the most incredible day ever. Being a huge fan of WOF and watching it my whole life, it was incredible to see Pat and Vanna, watch what really happens behind the scene and actually get to be a part of it!

Like I said yesterday, they don't allow cameras on the set, so I have nothing to show, but of course you can see it on TV on Friday, December 19th!

And oh, a little side story...My mom said that when I came out on the floor before my show started taping, she was watching me get my mic put on, make up touched up and final rules being explained. She noticed how calm I was, and how I didn't seem nervous at all. As she's noticing this, she also notices my husband rocking back and forth, clenching his hands...almost hyperventelating. She asks him if he's ok, and he says, "Yes, I'm just really neverous". My Mom said that the last time she saw him like that was on our wedding day. :) How incredibly cute and sweet is that?!?

After the taping, I met up with my hubby and parents and we took a few pictures. We also found this great restaurant, The Warehouse, on the marina where we had our celebratory dinner. LOOK! You can see my ACTUAL WOF NAMETAG! :) Yes, they let you keep them!








We had the most incredible steaks for dinner. They were delicious. This is us, after our feast, leaning back with our full tummies :)



And also, since it was the night before Halloween, the restaurant was decked out Halloween style. This guy was by the door, passing out mints. Do you think this is a real guy? Or a maniqune? :)

And finally, after a wonderful day, we took a bottle of sparkling white grape juice down to the hot tub at the hotel and had our own mini celebration. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day!

21 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT to have you back! I love all the pictures and can't wait to see more. You and the Pink Potpourri were missed! Glad you had such an amazing trip!
JH:)

In Definition said...

So glad you're back!!! Sounds amazing...I've missed the blog~

Weeksie50 said...

Wow, what a fun experience..
I can't believe all the rules..lol.

Whitney said...

I WANT TO KNOW IF YOU WON! I still can't believe you were on there. I have ALWAYS wanted to be on a gameshow!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a fun time! I can't wait to watch the show! :o) Angie Y.

Megan said...

I noticed you had taken your name tag off...I would STILL be wearing it!! Man.... I can't wait to find out how you did! Even if you didn't win, you'll still be cooler than me since I've never been on there!

Annikke said...

Can't wait to see the show on Dec 19th!!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

That is so weird that they adjust the heights of all the contestants. I can't wait to watch the show!

Amy said...

Thanks for all the interesting info. My dad is a fan of the show and we used to compete to see who could solve the puzzle first. Too funny.

Love the photos of you and your family :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it!!! It is like living it all over again!!! ALSO... you must "alert" your L-ville based fans of your "commercial debute!" because you did an AWESOME job!!!

We are all so proud of you! All in all...it was the most incredible experience and I am so glad I did not miss a second of it!

WOF contestants come and go...but NONE will ever be more beautiful, more lovely, than our own
A-L-L-I-S-O-N!!!! Thanks for the pictures! How very fun! Love, mom oxoxoxoxoxo p.s. I did not know that they adjusted the floor...how did I miss that? But good to know! VERY interesting!

Rachel said...

Great pictures! I am sooo excited I can't wait to watch you on the show! You should have a countdown on your blog LOL
And the crazy thing is only you, your hubby and your parents know if you won including the people who were on the taping ofcourse!

Jennifer Owens said...

So glad to see you back to bloggin!!! I was excited to hear about the Wheel of Fortune thing. I will definitely have to find a TV that day and watch you on the show - can't wait to see the results! And all those rules and behind the scenes stuff - crazy!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back blogging - you are on WOF - WOW that is awesome!!! I cannot wait to watch it!! Congrats - I hope you win lots and lots.

Erin said...

What a fun experience! Can't wait to see what happened!!!!!! :)

Heathahlee said...

How fun! I can't WAIT to see it on the 19th!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

How exciting for you!

Can't wait to see the show.

Thank you for the Country Bob's sauce! We tried it tonight on chicken...tasty!

Jillian

Pleasant Living said...

What a fun time! I need a vacay! I'm so jealous, and you looked beautiful!

Mrs Anne said...

AMAZING!
LOVE IT!
(where is the line for autographs?)

tootie said...

I loved hearing the recap of your experience! It sounded like so much fun.

And I'm glad you got to keep your nametag. What a perfect souvenir!

tiarastantrums said...

so awesome - so much fun!!!!!

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I remember you saying you were going to do this, but then I forgot...let me just OMG, wow I am jealous, but I am going to tivo you on that night!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker