Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays: Storms

ATTENTION!!! beep b-beep beep beep!!!! Tomorrow is Friday, September 19...THE very last day you can send your swap buddy package! So, if you have not sent it yet, DO IT NOW!!! well, not right NOW, but as soon as you read my blog and leave a comment, THEN would be a great time to zoom off to the post office and send your package of favorite things!!!

And please be sure to take a picture of what you received and email it to me! I want to do a post next week to share what everyone's favorite things are!

Now, onto my thoughts...

So we are going on day 5 of no power at our house. Last night we finished cleaning out the fridge and scrubbed it down. Our stack of laundry is piling up, so i'm about to have to apply the "turn all your clothes inside out and wear them for another day" rule :)

So, here are some things I've learned during this week without power:

1. Bags of ice do not stay bags of ice very long in a powerless fridge...they melt and fill the fridge with water.

2. Do not attempt to go into a room at night without a candle. Bad things can happen. Toes can be broken.

3. Always be sure to have a supply of candles somewhere around the house. You never know when a massive windstorm will reak havoc on your city. And here's to all the times Zack has made fun of my massive collection of candles...not so funny now, huh??? :)

4. Days end sooner...when it gets dark at 8:15, its bedtime. There's nothing else to do! Its too hard to read by candlelight.

5. Our iPhones with the internet have been such a blessing. Although running the cars just to charge them has been annoying...

6. When you don't have the distractions that electricity provide (ie TV, movies, internet) you get SO much more stuff done that you always have sitting on your To-Do list. Yesterday Zack got the garage cleaned out, I painted some furniture, and we finally got pictures of stuff taken to post on Craigslist to sell...it only took us all summer...

7. Don't ever try to apply your makeup by candlelight. I'm pretty sure that's how clowns do it.

8. If you have a male in the house, INSIST he uses a candle when going to the bathroom. Its essential.

9. You can only eat dry food that does not require cooking of any sort for so long.

10. Bonfire's are yesterday's Martha Stewart kitchens. :) Its amazing what you can attempt to cook over a flame!

Well, there you have it, folks. Life at The Pink Potpourri HQ for the past week. What is something you've learned in life from an experience?

32 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is so funny - love the list. Did everything in your fridge go bad? That would be so upsetting... Glad you guys are hanging in and making the best of things. I don't know that I would have a good attitude like you about the whole thing!

Casey said...

package mailed! :)

sounds like we've expierienced alot of the same things you are going through! we should collaborate and write a book on "what to do when your power goes out" haha!
i've taken up knitting, used all of my friend's showers (hot water is a treat!), watched monday night football by a tv hooked up to a generator, learned to fix my hair without a flatiron, stood in line at my work to get a free flashlight and bag of ice, ate out at restaurants out of neccessity, and the list goes on!
all in all, this reminds me of how blessed we are!

Sara Laverty said...

allison, it sounds like you have a great attitude about this slight change in plans! its very encouraging to read! :) i hope you do get power soon so you don't have run the cars to charge your phone and so you can do laundry!

Stacy said...

Yuck, hope you have some power very soon!!!

Casey said...

sweet! another knitter! we should def. get together!
i work at a hospital, they have back up generators, so they never went without power.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have a beautiful blog! :)

I sure do miss living down south, but not having to deal with hurricanes is a good thing. I feel for you though...lived in Florida for years. My sister-in-law lives down in the Houston area and still has no power as well. Praying for you guys and thanks so much for visiting my blog and saying hi...what a treat! :)

Take care,
Kimberlie

Anonymous said...

Well I do have a massive candle collection, but they are all mostly tea candles - are they good enough for the job or too small to bother with?

Hope you get your power back soon.

Amy said...

Mailed my package earlier this week, can't wait to receive mine :)

I hope you get your power back soon!

Annikke said...

About 2 years ago we had some serious blizzards here and we lost power too. My husband was very thankful that I have a candle fetish! LOL

Michele said...

You are too funny! My package is getting mailed out tomorrow - have to finish all my pretty wrapping! I'm so excited!

Hugz,
Michele

Shannon said...

Oh man! Sorry you don't have electricity! Glad ya'll are getting some things done. :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

From our past experiences with a 5 day power outage I learned to be extremely thankful for family. My aunt and uncle had power for most of that time. They let me, Ty and Nuts invade thier house and food for almost a week. It was the craziest time ever. They were extremely lucky to have power...the other side of their street did not. This was in December so it was freezing outside...hence the ice storm that damaged everything. Our city still looks bare from all the trees we lost.

Karen said...

I hope you have power back soon. We are fans of the wind up lanterns. Can you believe they have some of these that have radios and the ability to charge some cell phones? Little kids and candles can be a bad combo, but totally agree about taking a candle to bathroom being of the up must importance.

Your toes OK? Ouch!!!

Alison Mayes said...

We finally got power on Tuesday and I was about to lose it! It was hard because all around us houses had power and we did not. On Monday we used the projector at church and watched a movie just to keep us entertained! I really hope you get power back soon!

Megan said...

Oh I can't imagine being without power for that long!! Hope your power comes back soon! I haven't gotten my package yet :-( but I have already sent mine & she received it!!

tiarastantrums said...

that was funny - but in a good way. I hope things improve.

And I love that swap idea - so cool!!

I love the name of your blog!!

Mrs Anne said...

My package will be mailed first thing tomorrow morning! I've been so busy with work/life... no excuses tho, and mine will be SENT! :) *and pictures to you too*

some things i've learned from experience... I think it would be to practice patience and realize that everyone is on this walk of life. We all are battling something, celebrating something, hurting, loving, growing... and each person (including ourselves) should be treated with kindness and love.

Hoping for power for you!!!

:)
A

Heathahlee said...

I mailed my package this morning!

I laughed out loud at the makeup/clown thing. As far as things I've learned...hmmm...I will have to think on that for a while.

Weeksie50 said...

Ha-that is to funny about taking a candle to the bathroom..

I am hoping your electricity comes back on soon..

Thank GOD for your iphone..

Melinda said...

We were without power twice last year when the ice storms hit and the trees knocked our lines down. It was about 7 days each time, in the dead of winter. At least it isn't cold right now and you don't have to worry about freezing to death! The first time we toughed it out for a few days and then went to my mom's and the second time we borrowed a generator. But every time we are without power I laugh at myself when I walk into a room and without habit flip the light switch on. I hope you get back to normal soon!

Whitney said...

This made me laugh a lot! So glad your power is back!

Expat No. 3699 said...

Well, at least you can joke about it. Your list had me laughing out loud...which is not a good thing to do at work.

Brought my package to UPS on my lunchbreak today and should be delivered Monday. I had fun picking out my self. Kudos to you for doing the Swap!

Whitney said...

OH IT'S NOT ON YET!??! What a living nightmare! How are you getting ready in the mornings?!?!

Aunt Julie said...

Is it hotter than heck there, too! I don't mind the power being out, as long as the outside temps are tolerable. Don't know how our ancesters survived w/o AC!

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't image 5 days without power. I think I'd go insane. You're a saint to be so upbeat about it.

Sandra said...

72 hour kits must be rotated and updated on a regular basis.

package went out yesterday

kelly said...

5 days without power?! oh my heavens. i don't know if i could ever survive!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i am laughing out loud...so funny!

Anonymous said...

I understand how that is! I just received my phone back! Has been out due to flooding.

Anonymous said...

My package was mailed yesterday!

Unknown said...

During the blizzard of 1978 we were without power or running water/plumbing for 4 days. I learned how to flush a toilet with a big bucket of melted snow, how to cook on a wood stove, and that frozen pizza can be cooked on a grill in the garage!

Jennifer said...

Love your list! I can't imagine going that long without electricity, although maybe that's the only way we'll get our list of projects completed. :) Hang in there!!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker