Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Mayhem - Back Porch

Based on the design, layout and content of The Pink Potpourri, most would peg me as a girlie, feminine, sophisticated woman interested and skilled in homemaking, shopping and creative ideas. Not construction projects...



Shocking as it may seem, I got down and dirty this weekend helping the husband crumble our back porch concrete slab. Over the next few weeks, we'll be building a deck! So husband thought that last night would be a good time to get this process rolling. Watch out world, the husband handed me a sledge hammer!!!

Look at that form! It's totally wrong. And I'm pretty sure I'm breaking some sort of city code or law, manuvering a sledge hammer in flip flops, no shin guards and no helmet...


Ladies and Gents, I present the WRONG way to break concrete:






Good thing this part didn't make it onto the video...I'm pretty sure my #1 reader, Mom, would have fallen out of her chair...I HIT MYSELF in the ankle with the sledge hammer! See, that's why there's city codes. Don't worry...it wasn't a hard hit...but here's the dust mark:



Here's the correct, manly, professional Husband Concrete Breaking. Such the manly man :)



After we wore our little selves out, we collapsed on the chairs, trying to gain enough strength to make it to the showers. While we were recooperating, Fez felt it necessary to investigate and inspect our work. He seemed to approve our accomplishment.

Oh Fez. He is a hoot. He steered clear of the "construction site" finding a great place to work on his stick he found in the front yard. He's the best dog ever.

21 lovely comments:

Sara Laverty said...

allison! you need to wear SHOES when you do stuff like that! not flips!

Stacy said...

I was laughing when I saw the flip flops! But way to get down and dirty :)

Sarah Rose said...

You are a brave, brave woman! Congratulations on the "war wound"!

Amy said...

That looks like a cool way to relieve some stress :)

Michele said...

Hi Allison...I'm laughing here at work at you in flip flops. I do the same thing when I'm working outside or in the garage.

I love your puppy...he's so cute!

Hugz,
Michele

Ripley F. :-) said...

Flip Flops??? So do I!!!!

Karen said...

I am so exhausted after watching you sling that sledge hammer. Seriously though, doesn't it feel great when yu accomplish something big like that?!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the humility of it all! Did I teach you NOTHING about jellies and flipflop ware! I know...this is your rebellious streak kicking into gear! BIG smiley face :D !!!!!

I am so very proud of your "swinging skills!" Your joyful attitude as your worked and the rhythmic beat of the sleg hammer! Go Allison! See, you ARE the perfect match for your manly man! I know he is VERY proud of your demolition skills!

Oh, the fez...always hunting for something to bury, chew on, or chase. I would LOVE to see a video of him burying an "invisible something" in the pile of rumble! tee hee hee.
And I loved your hair do...very tussled...speck so! Loved seeing you for a brief few this weekend. I look forward to this weekend...must go and prepare! Love, mom oxoxoxoxox

Pleasant Living said...

So glad to see another woman who doesn't mind doing a little manual labor. I always mow, because I refuse to weed-eat (that's just an ER visit waiting to happen), and the heckling from my female friends never ceases. "That's a man's job," they say. But I love helping him out.

Megan said...

Look how cute you are, so funny! haha. && At least you had a dust mark and not half your foot smashed in!

Meghann said...

Fez is adorable.

Chris gets mad at me for doing stuff like that in flip flops. I have almost lost a toe on a couple of occasions.

Expat No. 3699 said...

Okay, here's the mother in me coming out..."Flip flops? Are you crazy, you're going to get hurt! Next time wear gym shoes, jeans and gloves."

Anyhoo, hope you'll take pictures of the progress of your new deck.

Tori said...

Oh I just love it!! Sledging cement...I bet there's nothing like it!! You crack me up! I just love your blog!

Heathahlee said...

I am grinning from ear to ear! You and your flip-flop-sledge-hammer-weildin'-self!

My husband would have had apoplexy at your behavior, citing exactly which OSHA codes you were violating. He works in the safety industry, bless his heart. He can't help it. : )

Anonymous said...

I don't know who "employee 3699" is but Allison...listen to the woman! The only thing she is missing in her list of appropriate demolition ware is a helmet...not a bad idea at that, I might add!
Oh, yes...and have a delightful day! Best Wishes from the Elle and her Nanners oxoxoxo

Ashley said...

yowch! Where in ky are you? You left a comment on my blog at www.bosssanders.com. I'm in KY too!!! My luck you'll be like on the other end, but a girl can hope, right? Btw, you can email me this info lol...you don't have to reply in my comments with it! For the record though, we're western.

-Ash
bosssanders@gmail.com

Shala said...

At least you look cute when doing such outdoor handy work. I just cleaned out the pool in 100+ degree weather and do not look 1/2 that cute! LOL

I noticed the flip flops right away (must be a mom thing)! LOL

The Shillingburg's said...

Fez is pretty much the cutest little doggie. I agree with the shoes part. :) hahahaha. Still, form or no form, you're hard core.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Looking at your foot makes me cringe. Like your mother, I probably can conjure up all sorts of things that could have happened with that sledge hammer.
Am looking forward to pictures of the finished project with no major injuries:}
Your package arrived on Saturday. The cards are very cute. I will actually have to force myself to use them. I tend to be a hoarder if I really like something.
Thank you so very much, once again.

N said...

Ha-a! So funny! But yes, you need shoes!!! :D But of course, wearing sturdy shoes and gloves and jeans doesn't look anywhere near as cute...when I'm out working on something like that, cute would certainly not come to mind! lol!

I don't know how you (and other ladies) can work outside and still look nice!

Claremont First Ward said...

Looks like you are very possibly the demo queen!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker