Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays: Friends

I have started reading a new daily devotional by Beth Moore, "Jesus, 90 Days with the One and Only". In one word, incredible. Each day I have gotten SO much out of the study, and God has placed the lesson of the day with the need currently on my heart. If you're not doing a devotional, get this one TODAY. (LifeWay has them on sale for $20!)



Yesterday's study reflected on Luke 1:39-44 when Mary visits Elizabeth after the angel has told her that she will be giving birth to Jesus. Mary runs to Elizabeth's home, where they hug, cry, talk and comfort one another through this amazing time, as Elizabeth is also giving birth at her old age through God's plan. Beth talks about how we as women have a longing for someone in our lives who shares our similar experiences. We long for someone who gives us comfort, and that we can comfort as well, just as Mary and Elizabeth have that relationship and bond.

In II Cor. 1, it talks about how we receive an overflow of comfort from the Lord, and we are commanded to share that comfort with others...that is why He gives us such an abundance! We are not to keep it all to ourselves, but to be there for others.

I love all of the women in my life whom God has blessed me with and are so near and dear to my heart. There are so many of you special girls that I don't have my picture with, so these are just a few that I can honor this morning. Thank you for your friendship, love, compassion, and memories.

10 lovely comments:

Whitney said...

Aw, that was very sweet! You are lucky to have sisters - and two at that! So fun.

Anonymous said...

very sweet Allison. It brings joy to my heart to hear my sister rejoice, grow, and hunger for the King! Thank you for your kind words and you mean so much to all of us. have a blessed day and continue to pass on your knowledge of the Lord to those around you.

Kendall

Whitney said...

I designed it in power point, saved it as a picture and uploaded it! It's SUPER easy! Just find a cute design you like on the web, save, upload, create in powerpoint and upload. You can also change your little icon at the top up by your site URL!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think this is my most fav blog yet! :D Ok, I NOW have to break down and by the devotional! Good thing I have a 25% off coupon! :D So Blessed to hear that it is encouraging your heart and thank you for sharing with all of us! Must run...I'm going to call you...with 10 mins. left. ta ta 4 now. God Bless, Love, mom xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

kristen told me how great that book is, i guess now i'll have to get it! i'll just use my lifeway gift card and get it soon :)
those few verses in 2 cor. are some of my favorites, and i've never thought of connecting it with the story in Luke! you have been such a great adult role model for us and have encouraged us so much the past year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I LOVE yours!
Thanks for the inspiration!

20Birds said...

lol, so you commented on my friend's blog, you said you found her from Pioneer Woman, I told her that she was almost famous, i am doing the Beth Moore Beloved Disciple study now, and am set top lead the Jesus One and Only Study at my church in the fall... so cool that yoeu mentioned it...

Delaina said...

I'm a huge fan of Beth Moore's and I think I might suggest this book for our Manna for Moms book club!

Nancy said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my place too! I love to discover new blogs to read, especially ones like yours. Very pretty design and wonderful content too.

I have been through the Jesus devotional book by Beth Moore and it's wonderful. You're in for a treat 'cause it gets better and better as you go through it.

Anonymous said...

I made the blog! I made the blog! haha:) Oh how I wish we were on another cruise right now - let's go! Congrats on the good buys at the garage sale too! You are such a bargain shopper. I miss you!!!!
Jess

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker