Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday - Birds and Carnations

Last night as we were eating chicken fajitas in our sunroom, I glanced out our window and spotted a family of birds who had set up camp on our gutter. As I got a closer look, the momma bird was feeding her baby bird supper!


I whipped out my camera to get the perfect "action shot" and she flew away. But here you can see the momma bird cleaning up after her babies after a delicious meal of freshly picked worm, and the babies squaking for more!




As I watched this momma bird, I started thinking about how she has a responsiblity as a momma to make the nest, feed these babies and clean up after them. But what makes her different is you don't see her flying off to her neighbor bird, complaining how messy the kids were, or that she has to go find another worm, when she would rather be perched on the local McDonalds collecting french fries.
-
Believe it or not, this momma bird motivated me. She has a responsiblity, she does it diligently without complaining, and she always gives 110%. I need to be like that. I may not be a mom yet, but I have plenty of responsibilites I can be applying this towards now.
-
***In other news, BABY CARNATION STATUS! I must say, the color predictor did me no good. The last three carnations, 2 pink and 1 blue, all died at the same time! (The picture makes them look like they may still have some life left, but trust me, they're as dead as a doornail).
But as I told my mom about this, she said that maybe its a prediction of the future...maybe we'll have 3 kids...2 girls and a boy :) Only time will tell! Only TWO WEEKS will tell...that's right...TWO WEEKS from today we'll know the sex of Lil' Pumpkin!

13 lovely comments:

Kelley said...

Well I'm sorry that the carnation experience wasn't a little more helpful, but I'm glad you don't have to wait to much longer to find out for real!

Kelley said...

i guess I meant experiment! it's still too early in mountain time ;)

Whitney said...

So exciting!! :) Do you have a feeling of what you think it is?

Kelly said...

cute pictures!!! It's a bummer that the flower thing didn't work because I really want to know what you're having! I can't wait to know, so we can start calling lil pumpkin by it's name :D We are so excited for you guys!!! love you!

Heathahlee said...

Two weeks!? How can you stand the excitement!? : )

I remember those days...I wanted a girl so badly I could taste it. Then I had three dreams that I would have a boy. You'd think I'd take that as a hint...but no, I was expecting a girl. I was wrong! He posed perfectly for the sonogram and there was no doubt! A boy! That was almost 10 years ago (gasp!) and I still remember it clearly...enjoy these memories, Allie... : )

Lindsey said...

So exciting!! Can't wait to find out!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

ooh soo exciting!! and i have so been wanting chicken fajitas, haha!!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I can't believe that you will be finding out the sex in 2 weeks-are you 20 weeks along? It is going by so fast, already!!

Jamie @ Bungalow Bee said...

Plant the plants now before your belly and back get in the way! Bending becomes incredibly difficult the bigger your belly gets - and it's mainly because you can't BREATHE anymore! :))) But you're tiny so maybe you won't have that problem. ;)

Sara Fleming said...

i love the Mama bird analogy :) right now i'm reading a book for school "Is It a Lost Cause?: Having the Heart of God for the Church's Children" (which I'd recommend any Christian parent read also!) that talks about how our society now perceives children as a burden (thus the arise in abortions and such) when several hundred years ago, raising children was seen as part of every family's life and was considered a joy and necessity...on that note, i think you are going to be a wonderful Mama bird ;) AND, i'm looking forward to learning what Lil' Pumpkin is too! have a great week!

Ashley said...

How exciting for you! I bet you can hardly contain yourself! By the way, I tagged you in a post over at my blog!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Only 2 more weeks! I bet you guys are so excited!

Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

Ok, so I am just now seeing that you are pregnant... CONGRATS!! I had to backtrack a ways through your blog to see the big announcement, how exciting! Hope your pregnancy is going well!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker