Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thoughtful Thursdays - Bear

My parents have recently been cleaning out their storage area, sifting through hundreds of boxes of saved things from all of our family, including all three of us girls who no longer live there.


So when they were in town last weekend, they brought me a box filled with childhood memories. I had bags full of cards I had received in college, first place ribbons from dance competitions, some of my porcelain dolls I have collected and my most favorite, Bear!



I remember getting Bear in the 4th or 5th grade...our family was at Sam's Club and either my grandparents or parents told my sister and I that we could each pick out one toy (this is my childhood rememberance...Mom if you're reading this and it didn't really happen this way, be sure to leave a comment on the real story!). Anyways, from what I remember, there was a big huge bin of these teddy bears and I chose this one.
Bear and I spent many years together. He sat on my bed during the day, curled up with me under the sheets at night, supported my head when I needed an extra pillow to sit up and read, absorbed all my tears when I cried, and took some good punches and pokings to the face when I needed to vent...

I'm pretty sure he also did some extensive family trip traveling as well. To me, Bear was a BIG bear. He seemed huge. He would fit right in with the shape of my body when I curled up on my side to sleep at night. I could hug him and it felt like he was actually hugging me back!
This weekend when I took him out of the box, he appeared to have shrunk. He did not seem quite as huge to me. But as we all know, you shrink when you get older :)
So thanks, Bear, for always beign there for me. Thanks for being a best friend, a confidant and a comforter. And thanks for noting holding a grudge against me for shoving you in a storage box for over 10 years...You have that same loving glow to your face as the day I put you in there.
Well, now Bear is a part of our new family. He may not be sitting on my bed anymore, but he is at our house. In a safe place. Fez wasn't took keen about his new "brother"...he had a few ways of expressing his thoughts to Bear...he doesn't like anyone coming in and stealing all the attention...

9 lovely comments:

Meg said...

I have a bear like that from my childhood. I loved him.

MelissaF said...

How sweet! I had a bear when I was little, too--Teddy--that served all the purposes of your bear. I wonder sometimes if I would've made it through my childhood without Teddy! What a wonderful memory.

Whitney said...

Awww, sweet story! Looks like Fez has found a new friend in Bear.

Karen said...

It's always good to find an old friend. Wishing Big Bear a long and happy life in his new home.

Heathahlee said...

Oh, I had a teddy bear forEVER. His name was Frankie Justin. (Don't ask) He slept with me until I got married. : ) Is that pitiful or what?

Mother Hood said...

I love his "bedroom eyes".

My husband still has his "B bear". It looks like the head is about to fall off. That thing has literally been love to death.

Pleasant Living said...

cute story. It made me think of The Velveteen Rabbit.

Anonymous said...

Funny about our memory banks. As I was reading, I "thought" I remembered you being 4 or 5 when you got bear. Ho hum... Anyways, I love your comment on how much smaller he seems now... yes,it probably has to do with his age and the whole shrinking things. :D

I just remember bear always being in our homes, car, moving boxes and such. Thanks for the memories! Love, mom xoxoxo

Sweet Simplicity said...

Aaawwww! I still have my childhood bear from when I was 2.

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker