Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thoughtful Thursdays: Busy Schedule

Now that the semester has started back up, classes are rolling, work is still busy for both my husband and I, and a new semester of ministry leading the college group is in full swing, things feel a little hectic and chaotic here at The Pink Potpourri HQ.


Lately I've been overwhelmed with leaving the house at 7:15 am and not returning until 10 pm at night. Laundry piles up, dishes are stacking next the sink, and who knows what's growing in the refridgerator. Its either nothing can get done, or the second I get organized, somethings a mess again!


A few things I've learned to help me get through busy times such as these:

-each day make a "To Do List". Prioritize...most important things first. Go down the list and get as much done as possible. What's not finished, do tomorrow.

-give yourself a certain amount of time, and set the oven timer. You have 10, 15, 30 or however many minutes to get as much things done...dishes, pick up the house, laundry...whatever.

-delegate - my hubby is busy too...but sometimes he can share a few minutes with me to help out...like set the table and get drinks, or take out the trash. Also, we have lots of kids at church that we can depend on to help us out in times of need.

-make a schedule - this is pretty hard for me, but I look at my week and find that Sunday afternoons are best for me to go to the grocery. no plans, zack is usually studying, and the store isn't too crowded. I make a list and menu that will get me to the next sunday.


In my QT today, I read in Matt.4:23-25 how Jesus was traveling, preaching and healing all over. He was being pulled every which way, with tons of responsiblities going on all at once. and what did he do? He KEPT GOING. what an incredible motivation for me in this time of struggle. My human response/want is to ditch the chores and curl up on the couch to an episode of The Office :)

What are some helpful time saving tips that you use? Any suggestions?

13 lovely comments:

The Shillingburg's said...

You should get a DVR. I hate missing the office. Then, when I have a second, I can watch it...and fast forward through the commercials. :) I agree with the delegate part...unless you're taking time for yourself, you're not going to be as effective in your ministries/school/work as you want to be, you know? Praying for you girl!!

Anonymous said...

Great tips! I too love making lists. I get such satisfaction when I can cross something off.

Something that I have learned over time is to enjoy myself. I used to get so wrapped up in the craziness of life, going from one task to the other, I felt like I was just breezing through life doing what HAD to be done and not enjoying anything along the way.

I have now come to the realization that lfe is going to be busy and there is nothing I can do about it but I can change my attitude about it all. I try to just take everything in and make the best of it.

Don't get me wrong, there are days when I want to just say I quit but I am really trying to get better at enjoying life instead of floating through it.

Mrs Anne said...

Great post!

I'm a list writer... I sit and write down my immediate and long term to do's.. I keep the list on my fridge and check things off as they are completed. I like to set "deadlines" for myself also... helps keep me in focus...

Also, then anyone else in the household that has a few extra moments can see what needs to be done and can help out!

Great scripture too! Thanks for the constant reminder of how amazing our Lord is!

:) Make today great!

Laural Out Loud said...

Lists are my lifesaver. And they are in a constant state of flux. Rewriting them helps prioritize my day and keep things fresh in my mind.

But seriously, the DVR is the greatest gift to a busy mom. Not only does it allow you to watch what you want when you have the time, it also provides for some much needed zoning out time.

Megan said...

I make a To Do List every day. But I don't go overboard on it. I try to put the things that have to get done on the list, and then make a "tomorrow" list underneath..that way I will not feel bad if I don't get the entire list done, but if I have extra time I can go ahead and do things on the "tomorrow" list. Good luck finding a routine!

Anonymous said...

Well, you are your mother's daughter...how could life go forward without a list? I remember going to the beach and the 3 of you standing around "cabana 15" wanting to know "so, mom, what are we going to do?"...in other words...what is on the list for today?!

Well, I have found THE most important way to get through the slow times and the fast pace of busy life is ALWAYS begin with the LORD! When that is not in a daily practice, a set routine... list or not...disaster is lurking in the near future. It may not be today or tomorrow but it will find you soon enough...dry and crumbled. So, our "list" are good, but we need to be so seated at the table with our Lord, that when a "monkey wrench" of life is thrown in, we may see it as a blessed way to serve our Lord and trust in Him with all of the rest. Thoughtful thoughts from an old woman who just experienced such trip off of her road the past few weeks and now re establishes her tooties back on the solid Rock...with a continued to do list! God Bless! Love, mom p.s. all of your suggestions are so top notch! Works well, speck so!

sassy stephanie said...

I've had to do the same. I am a major list maker. I can easily get overwhelmed and usually want to do things myself. I have had to learn to let things go and delegate. I have gotten my kids involved. Why should I be the maid??

My three year old even chips in. I know I must settle for a lower level of satisfaction when it is all said and done, but more importantly, they are learning to be responsible as members of the family.

Sandra said...

Your mom is one wise lady. My sister in law has a plaque hanging on her wall that I just love:
"A day hemmed in prayer, rarely unravels" and it is so true. When I make time for the Lord, everything else either falls away or falls into place. Daily constant prayer and supplication make it ok.

Oh, and www.flylady.net great place to by.

Whitney said...

I too often feel this way. It's terrible, isn't it? I write lists, too. But I admit, some days, I shove the list across the table and crash on the couch.

Casey said...

I have to make lists for everything! Also, teamwork with my husband helps things at our house go alot smoother.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note...I updated my xanga...I think I need a blog .... but I mentioned you on there! :D Love you...Love, mom oxoxo

Annikke said...

I don't have a suggestion, but a comment on setting the timer -- I used to dread unloading the dishwasher (I don't really know why, but I dreaded it big time). Then one morning as I popped something in the microwave for 2 minutes I decided to start unloading the dishwasher. I ended up done with the dishes before the microwave stopped so I realized how silly to avoid my dishwasher when it only takes 2 minutes (actually less than that)!

Heathahlee said...

I just realized that I've been so busy I haven't been here in probably a week! This post was perfect for me! Homeschooling my Kiddo is doing a number on my organization (or lack of it). Thanks for the tips!

Baby Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker